When a visitor is browsing your website for the first time, your About Us page is often one of the first page's they will navigate to. They want to know more about you and your company. A website that is lacking this page or information on this page may seem faceless and less credible to a visitor. By adding an "About Us" page or more information to your "About Us" page, you are giving your website more of an identity.
Here are some tips to help you create a strong, authentic "About Us" page:
- Tell a story
– Give details behind who you are, where you are, why and how you and your
company were founded.
- Use facts to support your statements – Don’t simply say “our support team is fantastic” or
“we have a unique product”, instead show that those statements are true by
using data or facts to back-up your statements.
- Be sincere
– Don’t try to be something you’re not. If you have a small (or even a
one-person) team, don’t pretend to be a large organization. Instead, be
truthful in explaining the benefits of operating as a small team for both
you and the customer.
- Demonstrate your expertise – Include any qualifications, awards or press mentions
that may be relevant to your business. These will help position you as an
expert in your field. It is important, however, to pay close attention to
your wording, as bragging about your achievements can be off-putting to
- Use real photos – Natural and un-staged photos of you or your business will help to enhance and support your "About Us" page, making it feel more genuine.
Lastly, don’t forget to add some personality in your "About Us" page. Have some fun with your content. Your visitors will appreciate the humor, and injecting personality and find it more genuine, which in turn will help them get to know you.